Sunday, March 29, 2009

Avery's Wikipedia Entry

It is incredibly fascinating that Avery has a wiki entry, but Cornell, his alleged victim, does not. I suppose the argument would be that Avery was the first clergyman put on trial for murder in the US (according to the wiki... I'll confirm this claim before writing my research paper); nevertheless, Avery continues to speak while Cornell does not.

Needless to say, this discovery falls right in with my planned paper. Just like the previous post, what we see here is a simultaneoulsy silent and overpowering patriarchial voice that smothers Cornell. Yes, there are certainly other themes (religious intolerance for one), but the existence of an overarching, institutional power structure is what intrigues me.

Still, I suppose one could argue that infamy has always allowed one to live on beyond any supposed victims. How many people know the names of Jack the Ripper's victims? Or Jeffrey Dahmer's? Or Ted Bundy's? (Note that each of these men prey primarily on minorities, with Jack and Bundy targeting women and Dahmer targeting minorities.) I suppose Avery benefits (?) from the same influence.

No comments: