Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm sooo ticked

I just wrote a very long post and, while trying to copy it (which you apparently can't do), I lost the whole damned thing.

Anyway, to make a long post short, I'm thinking of exploring how male authority figures who abuse their power over women have changed. I'm wondering of the representation of a religious figure was a popular representation in early American novels and will consider putting Fall River beside The Scarlett Letter.

I'll come back in later to write, more or less, what I spent the last fifteen mintues on before I lost it.

2 comments:

Jay Jay said...

I forgot to leave you this message like a week ago, so sorry about that - but Dr. Logan told me that your novel is an answer to my novel, _The Factory Girl_. Interesting huh?

In my text, the factory is owned by a group of townsmen and the "manager" of the factory is Mr. Crawford, and he's very kind. He lets Mary leave earlier than all the other workers because she has to take care of her grandmother.

One of the townsmen, Dr. Mandeville, insists on creating a Sunday Charity School for the "poor factory children" who are forced to work by their greedy parents, who are swayed by the potential of salaries. Somehow I think that the authority figure in your text is the complete opposite.

Serge said...

Yes, The Factory Girl does sound like an answer to Fall River. As for the authority figure in the novel, check out my comments about him/them in my proposal.